3.4.33 Magnetizing Current (External Source)
The Magnetizing Current within a winding may be tested. An AC voltage (from an external source) is applied across the winding under test and the current flowing through the winding is measured.
This test uses an external source to provide the test signal which must be coupled to the tester via a Voltech AC Source Interface (contact your supplier for details). See the AC Source Interface user manual or the Editor help system for details of how to configure external ac sources for use with an AT3600.
On selecting "MAGX Magnetizing Current (External Source)" from the available tests window, a dialog box will be displayed.
To program the test :
- Enter the test voltage and frequency at which the test is to be carried out. This is usually at the highest working voltage at the lowest operating frequency. Note that the Measure button cannot be used to determine any of the required test parameters.
- Select the integration time required.
'Medium' is the default setting. 'Long' will give more stable readings (for tighter limits) at the expense of an increased test time, and 'Short' will test at the maximum speed, but may give a slightly noisier reading.
- Enter the terminal names across which the voltage is to be applied and through which the magnetizing current will be measured.
- Enter the expected range of magnetizing current. Either use max. - Min. (><) limit or test against just maximum (<) limits if required.
- Select OK. The test specification will be displayed in the program window on the screen.
Note: The measure button may be used to determine typical test results.