MAKING THE MEASUREMENTS
Design and test engineers trust Voltech power analyzers to provide clear and definitive
measurements on LED drivers. Why is this?
LED drivers have an AC line input and a DC output. Both the input and output waveforms
are complex, consisting of high frequency current as well as the expected 50/60Hz
input current and the dc output current.
Voltech power analyzers are ideal for both input and output measurements on LED
drivers and PMStudio PC software simplifies set-up and recording of measurements
including efficiency. PMStudio is available free of charge.
Click here for details on software
Measuring the AC Line Input.
At the input of the LED driver, measurements of voltage, current, power, power factor
and harmonics are required. The input current is distorted by the input circuit
of the driver and is rich in harmonic current that is at frequencies up to 1000's
of Hertz. Any Voltech power analyzer will measure accurately under these conditions
without compromise to its specification.
Connect safely and easily using the Voltech Break-Out box
Fast and error-free setup and measurements with free PC Software
Measurements, waveforms, harmonics clearly displayed on the instrument or using
- True Power (Watts)
- Apparent Power (VA or Volt-Amperes)
- Reactive Power (VAr or Volt-Amperes Reactive)
- Power Factor and Cos Theta
- True RMS Volts
- True RMS Amps
- Voltage and Current THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)
- Current and Voltage harmonics to IEC61000-3-2
- Standby Power to ENERGY STAR ® and IEC62301 requirements.
Measuring the DC Ouptut Simultaneously
At the LED Driver output, the dc current may contain significant high-frequency
ac ripple current at the driver switching frequency and its harmonics. Only an AC
Power Analyzer with high bandwidth and good common-mode rejection will measure accurately.
Measuring at the LED Driver input and output simultaneously, with the same specification
analyzer, will provide true efficiency measurements under all conditions.
System Measurements with PMStudio:
- Input measurements as above
- Output Power (watts)
- Output Voltage.
- Output Current.
- Power Loss
- Driver Efficiency %
PM6000 - Multi Phase Power Analyzer
- Up to 6 channels configurable
- Accurate on all waveforms
- Samples continuously without gaps at 5MSPS - no missing data
- Can be used for single phase or three phase AC or DC testing
- Testing harmonics to IEC61000-3-2
- PWM measurements
- High frequency bandwidth up to 10 MHz
- Power (watts), power factor and THD,inrush current
PM1000+ - Next Generation Power Analyzer
- Easy to use and affordable.
- Comprehensive high speed interfacing for automated use
- Single phase measurements
- Ideal for the design and testing of LED lighting
- Pre-compliance testing of harmonics to IEC61000-3-2
- High frequency bandwidth up to 1 MHz
- Power (watts), power factor and THD